Monday, January 17, 2011

The Big Apple, Part IV

This is the final installment of my New York trip with my Dad. Our mission was to get me to the Martha Stewart Show on Thursday, January 13. I got tickets because I subscribed to Martha's tweets and saw a message looking for brides-to-be to be in her show's audience. I quickly filled out the form and forgot about it. Then, about a week before Christmas while Dad and Judy were visiting, I got the email saying I was confirmed for two tickets.
Emily Whittamore (Scott's sister) was naturally my first choice because she is getting married in March. Unfortunately the show was the first week of her new teaching internship, so she couldn't take the time off work. I jokingly told Dad that he should come with me because he had never been to New York City. He laughed and said, "Yeah, right," and I left it at that. I invited Molly, too, but she's planning a trip to Cali soon and couldn't afford it. (By the way -- please keep Molly in your prayers. She had to have her appendix out while I was gone and is still in a lot of pain.) So it's probably best she didn't make the trip....

On the next day, my dad said he would go with me. I was shocked, but super excited to show him the city. We made plans that night. Thanks for everything, Dad. It was a great trip, and it was so nice to spend one-on-one time with you!

So without further ado......we'll start with some photos from the rooftop deck of our hotel. It has a bar that's open in the summer, so we'll be staying there again for sure. What a view! and free!

On Thursday morning I woke up feeling like crap again. I couldn't eat really any breakfast and then it was gone from my stomach immediately anyway. So after several doses of Pepto and a prayer, I started feeling better. We changed our flights to Thursday night, so I wouldn't have to spend my entire flight home Friday morning in the airplane bathroom. Dad to the rescue again!

After the travel was rearranged, I ran downstairs to catch a cab to Martha's studio in Chelsea. I arrived about an hour early and was the seventh person in line. All the brides-to-be were super nice and of course, excited about the show. After about an hour frostbite was starting to set in on my toes, but they finally led us into the waiting room after passing through security. We filled out releases and question forms and waited to be called into the studio. At about 2 p.m., they called my number and I was seated on the second row of the middle section on the floor -- right in front of where Martha starts the show! The show airs on January 20 at 10 a.m. on the Hallmark Channel, so look for me in the floor seats. We could only take photos of before and after the here they are.

The line behind me at Martha

How did Martha know these are my wedding colors?

in the waiting area

walking in...

setting up...taken from my seat

self-portrait.. ugh..

the audience behind me. it was full by the time the show started.

seats to my right

from my seat

Oscar de la Renta dress for the fashion show

after the show

after the show. Oscar de la Renta, left, and Darcy Miller, right, head of Martha Stewart Weddings

After the show I grabbed my gifts (yay- Thanks Martha!) and bolted down the street while trying to put on my coat and catch a cab. The first cabbie said no, so I ran a couple blocks, and finally one stopped for me. I was running late to catch our car to the airport, so I was glad he stopped. I don't think I could have run another block. I made it to the car a little late, but the driver waited for me. Dad had everything packed and ready to go. It was sad to leave, but I was so happy on Thursday night to be at home and in my own bed. But I will be going back. Scott and I have never been there together, so we need to have some shared memories there. It was a great trip. I just wish I could have enjoyed some food while I was there.