Sunday, February 19, 2012

Papa's WWII photos

This week I've been scanning photos from a box of memories kept by my grandma from my Papa's service in WWII. He never talked about it very much, but it's a treasure that he was able to come back with so many great photos while serving in the Signal Corps. Most of the photos are from Italy, and it makes me want to plan a trip to visit the places where he was. The leaning tower of Pisa is obvious, but I'm still working on figuring out where some of the others were taken.



I was able to identify the Pontifical Shrine of the Blessed Virgin of the Rosary of Pompeii, above, by using google images. The site is popular with Catholic pilgrims, so I'm assuming this photo was from some sort of ceremony related to that.










January 16, 1945 




And a fun one.....


3 comments:

  1. Those are so awesome Amanda! Very cool that you have those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I'm so glad you have them and are scanning them. Some of these are really great photographs, too. Can you tell me which ones are Papa in the pics with all the men? It's hard for me to tell.


    Oops, wait. I think if it is WWII it is Granddaddy Glover, in which case he is easier to recognize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my Papa Taylor (mom's father) actually. But next time I come home, I'm looking to see if granddaddy brought home pics from the war.

      Delete